2009-10-27

My habit or My disease.

When I was a second year pupil, a math teacher told me,

"Read the next problem."

I stood up and read the multiplication problem.
I don't know how it is now, but at that time in Japanese elementary schools, students stood up to answer the teacher's question. I don't know why.

(question)
There are 15 boxes in which 64 apples are.
There are 14 boxes in which 12 oranges are.
How many apples and oranges are there in total ?

The teacher shouted, when I finished reading it.

"Be quiet!"

My class was very noisy. She kept scolding, so I had to keep standing.
It seemed as if I would be scolded at me, but I was thinking about that her scolding didn't include me, but then, to my surprise, she said:

"Did you listen to her reading ? You didn't did you ? So you didn't catch her misreading."
What ? I misread ? I thought in my mind. I didn't realise at all, and she said.

"She switched the ones and tens places. Ari san, please read it again."

I was embarrassed that she pointed out my misreading with a big voice in front of my classmates. Moreover, I was shocked that I had unconsiously misread it. Perhaps, I read the below.

(question)
15-51 boxes 64-46 apples.
14-41 boxes 12-21 oranges.

After that I recognized my habit, so from then on I've always paid attention to numbers.
When one of my friends, who knows my habit was studying in NYU, she sent me an e-mail.
"I found your symptoms in a TOEFL text. According to this, you have a disorder.

She pasted the sentence, but I've forgotten it because she sent it to me ten years ago. If I don't pay attention to bumbers I mistake 9428 for 9482. Recently, this habit appears when I type English sentences.
I often type. ex) about -abotu, sent-setn.
I wonder why my habit doen't appear when I write Japanese. I think everyone makes such a mistake. I don't need a cure, because I can live without its hitch.

1 comment:

  1. Hi!!
    Thank you for your comment on my blog :)
    You write good English!! I am hoping to start learning Spanish next year when my daughter starts middle school because here in California many people speak Spanish.
    Keep up your good work! ;)

    ReplyDelete