2014-04-17

An Opinion Regarding the Method of Learning New Langages





I have often seen many language teachers write that
they can teach their language as well as children learn their mother tongue.
I've seen this on not just one, but many websites.

I forgot who said this, it was either a linguist or a neuroscientist.
In any case, I've read an article where they say that
unless our native language has disappeared from our memory,
it's impossible for adults to learn a second language as children learn their mother tongue.
When we are hungry, we first think "I'm hungry" in our mother tongue.
We never change this reflex because
we have already established thinking patterns in our mother tongue.
So your native language is a crutch to help you out with a foreign language in the beginning.
You can then gradually let go of your crutch as you become better.
For a native language, you don't have a crutch to go back to,
so the way you learn it is different.

However, we can learn a second language faster than babies because
we know how to learn and can think logically.

I read this a few years ago and can't remember exactly what was said.
So even though I know that what I'm writing is not persuasive enough,
I totally agree with what was said.











No comments:

Post a Comment