2012-07-09

Can you do this arithmetic?



I found an interesting article with a headline
  "WHY SMART PEOPLE ARE STUPID."
I'd like to share it today. I'll copy and paste the article. Try to do it to pass time!


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here’s a simple arithmetic question: 
1) A bat and ball cost a dollar and ten cents. The bat costs a dollar more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

The vast majority of people respond quickly and confidently, insisting the ball costs ten cents. This answer is both obvious and wrong. (The correct answer is five cents for the ball and a dollar and five cents for the bat.)


2) In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles
in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake,
how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake?

Your first response is probably to take a shortcut, and to divide the
final answer by half. That leads you to twenty-four days. But that’s
wrong. The correct solution is forty-seven days.


More than fifty per cent of students at Harvard, Princeton, and M.I.T. gave the incorrect answer to the bat-and-ballquestion.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/frontal-cortex/2012/06/daniel-kahneman-bias-studies.html#ixzz1z8ecU600


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just as a side note on the topic, I answered the both question wrong on it. Too STUPID!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment